Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Psych

Last week I took a long series of tests to evaluate my IQ and mental status.  These things tell doctors how well I will cope with the strict regimen imposed on patients after transplant.

The good news is that I am not crazy.  My IQ is 87th percentile, and according to the doctor, I am either perfectly healthy or perfectly in denial.  And I say, why can't I be a little of both?  The questions ranged from faith to coping skills to whether or not I hear voices.  I was somewhat worried after all of the faith questions, because I answered negatively.  I don't believe in God, and I don't think that He's helping me through this.  In fact, I find comfort in knowing that there is no invisible man up there judging me or withholding miracles.

My responses told the doctor that I am fine, if not a little bit preoccupied with my illness.  When it's this sort of illness though, aren't we all?

This was one of the last steps on my road to a new kidney.  After I see the dentist next week, my case will be presented to the committee, and I will either be approved or denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment